Flexible Packaging for meat, poultry, and fish – The ultimate solution for quality assurance
Overall global meat consumption is on the rise. In 2019, the per capita meat consumption across the world was 34.4 kilograms, this is projected to increase to 34.9 kilograms per capita by 2024.1 One of the reasons for this increase is the demand for ready-to-serve convenience, meaning pre-prepared, pre-cooked and preserved meats are becoming more popular for busy consumers.
Preserve and Protect – Enhancing meat, poultry and fish quality with flexible packaging films
The purpose of flexible packaging meat, poultry and fish is to maintain the quality and protect the integrity of the products, preventing unwanted changes to texture, appearance, odour and flavour. Deterioration of any of these qualities can affect consumer purchasing decisions leading to product wastage, or worse, an increased risk to consumer health and safety if unprotected food is contaminated with bacteria. According to the World Health Organization, “An estimated 600 million people – almost 1 in 10 of the global population – fall ill after eating contaminated food” 2 every year.
Different types of flexible packaging films for fresh and processed meat, poultry and fish
Flexible packaging is perfect for meat, poultry and fish as the wide range of packaging films available helps to protect products from cross-contamination, maintains freshness and prolongs shelf-life.
Fresh meat and poultry
- Post Consumer Recycled (PCR) PET can be a viable option for packaging fresh meat and poultry. Its thermal stability, high seal strength and cross contamination preventative qualities make it a perfect film for fresh meat.
- Acrylic coated OPP can be a good option for meat that needs to be bagged. Its puncture and impact resistant quality ensures peace of mind when being transported from packaging plant to the product shelf. This film also has an excellent moisture and aroma barrier, to keep freshness locked in.
- EVOH PE has a high oxygen and aroma barrier, perfect for sealing meat and poultry.
- Films can be printed with visually appealing graphics using safe, ovenable inks that ensure no leaking into the product. A suitable material for ovenable films is polyester (PET) which can be hot needle perforated for use in flow wrap, bagging and lidding ovenable applications. This added-value film is ideal for products like bagged chicken, perfect for cutting down on food preparation times for a quick Sunday lunch, offering convenience from refrigerator to oven.
Processed meat and poultry
- Post Consumer Recycled (PCR) PET is suitable for both fresh meat and smoked/processed meats. It’s a cost-effective option which provides high clarity for the end consumer to see the product as well as an effective moisture barrier to preserve the contents.
- Standard OPP can be a suitable option for bagging smoked and processed meats, its effective moisture barrier helps to preserve the meat for longer.
- Preserved meats can benefit from re-sealable packaging that prevents meat from drying out and minimises food waste. PE films have a great resealable quality, ideal for products like salami and ham which may need to be opened and closed several times throughout the week.
- Post Consumer Recycled (PCR) PET is a good option for packaging fresh fish as well as fresh meat and poultry. Its qualities help to prevent cross contamination and maintain freshness.
- EVOH PE has a good aroma barrier, perfect for sealing strong smelling fresh and smoked fish.
- Ovenable packaging options for fish include polyester (PET) films which can be used for products like pre-prepared salmon, which is often pre-seasoned and ready for the oven.
- PE films are suitable for preserved fish as well as preserved meats
Superior barrier properties in flexible packaging films can prevent transfer of moisture, gases, oils and aromas of raw, smoked and processed fish and meat, helping to preserve food products for longer.
Discover our extensive collection of OPP, CPP and PE films , catering to a diverse range of packaging needs. From standard to high barrier packaging film options, as well as eco-friendly Post Consumer Recycled (PCR) films, we have the perfect solutions available in both mono and laminate formats.
Not only do we provide top-quality films, but we also offer a comprehensive suite of services to support your packaging journey. Our talented team is equipped to assist you with artwork design, packaging design, flexographic printing, lamination, perforation, and reseal capabilities.
Whether you’re seeking enhanced functionality, sustainable options, or eye-catching aesthetics, we have you covered every step of the way. Get in touch for advice on our flexible packaging solutions for food industry.