Flexible Films for fresh fruit and vegetables packaging
Preserving the freshness and extending the shelf life of fruit and vegetables
There are a variety of types of flexible films that can be used for packaging fresh fruit and vegetables, including:
- Polyethylene (PE) films: The use of polyethylene (PE) films is widely used for packaging fresh produce as these films have excellent flexibility. When used in combination with EVOH, PE film based packaging provides excellent moisture and gas barrier properties, preventing the loss of moisture and the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide, both of which may lead to spoilage of food. A wide variety of thicknesses and qualities of PE films are available, which can vary from transparent to opaque, on which branding or product information can be printed.
- PP and BOPP films: PP films are known for their clarity and excellent moisture barrier properties. In general, they are used for packaging fruit and vegetables that require a high level of visibility, such as salad greens and prepared fruit, to ensure their safety. PP films can be heat-sealed to create airtight packages.
- Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) films: A polyethylene terephthalate (PET) film is well known for having excellent clarity and gas barrier properties, making it a popular choice. It is commonly used as a packaging method for fresh fruit and vegetables as they provide the product with visibility as well as protecting it from external factors. A PET film is often used to wrap trays or containers to protect them from damage during transit.
- Biodegradable films: The use of biodegradable films is gaining popularity with a continuing focus on sustainability and biodegradable films made from polylactic acid (PLA), cellulose, or polymers derived from starch are becoming increasingly popular. As compared to traditional films, these films offer similar properties, but the difference is that they are designed to break down naturally, reducing the impact they have on the environment.
- Lidding Films: Lidding films for fresh produce are used to seal and cover trays, containers, or packaging formats that hold fruit and vegetables to maintain freshness during storage. Using these films, you can seal the produce in a way that ensures its freshness and quality, as they act as a barrier against moisture, gases, and contaminants.
Stand out from the crowd: decorative flexographic printing on flexible films for fruit and vegetables
By using HD Flexo printing techniques, PE films can be decorated with various designs, logos, and product information, making them suitable for a variety of uses. PET films have excellent printability and clarity. The printed PE and PET films are commonly used to wrap individual fruit or vegetables or trays or containers that hold fresh produce for an eye-catching appearance that makes them stand out from the crowd.
It’s important to note that the choice of flexible film depends on factors such as the specific produce, desired shelf life, packaging requirements, and environmental considerations. Terinex Flexibles can provide guidance on selecting the most suitable flexible packaging films for your fresh produce. Over the past 20 years, we have been manufacturing flexible films such as PE, PET, and lidding films, as well as offering flexographic printing services. If you are interested in learning more about our products or services, please contact us.